Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 21:18:39 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   padded files

I've had a couple of header files apparently get padded out to an 8K
boundary with NULs during a make world today (small sample: might have
been a page boundary).  This was on an up-to-date kernel.  The
modification time on the files was "just a minute ago", when the only
feasible operation on them was cpp reading them...  (This is a single
user machine, not connected to any network at the time.)

I've also been getting a few of the previously reported "attempt to
write meta-data" messages, but not at the same time as these file
corruptions.

Could some of the recent innocuous changes possibly be not so innocuous,
or uncovering old bugs?

System is a 486DX2/66, 16MB RAM, AHA1542C (no bounce buffers).

		Mark.

--
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."
"We're kind of stupid that way."   *munch* *munch*