Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 11:21:42 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Please help with 1.1.5.1...

Jordan (and the rest of the team):

Hi

Some time ago I saw either a usenet posting or a message on one of ther
FreeBSD lists that described Freefall's configuration. (I recall something
about a Pentium CPU, 96MB of RAM, 30 GB of SCSI disk and do on) (or was it
WCArchive?)

Anyway, at the time, the machine was running 1.1.5.1 with some stability
patches. I showed this to my colleagues at work, and they were _impressed_.

Some time later, (now), I have been asked to to get a news server running
A.S.A.P., and it is agreed that 1.1.5.1 is the way to go. (2.0 has too
many bugs, and they are too keen to get going to wait for 2.1 no matter
how I try to sell it. They/we will not run -current)

Now: Those "stability patches" that were mentioned. May I have a copy please?
Also, any pointers to getting this configuration as stable as possible
as a company's news/name/anything server.

The machine is a 486DX2/66 32MB with an Adaptec 1542c (I know about the need
for bounce buffers), and it will start out life with 3GB of disk, split as
1GB/2GB. Apart from that, the motherboard is known to be good, and the disks
are from HP and DEC, so I don't think we will have any hassles there..

Thanks!

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200