Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:31:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Jason White <mwhite+@CMU.EDU>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        andrew@pubnix.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Uptime report

Excerpts from freebsd-stable: 11-Jul-96 Re: Uptime report by Kenneth
Merry@ulc199.res
>         How long has your X server been running?  That's the real key, I
> think.  When you run xdm, and log in and out, I don't think the X server
> process is ever actually killed.  It just kinda restarts.  I have seen
> similar symptoms running xdm with AcceleratedX 1.2.  The 'fix' is to kill
> the X server every once in a while, when swap usage gets up there, and the
> swap space will be returned.  (to kill the server, control-alt-bs)  xdm
> will just crank the server right back up.

A better solution is to use a line like:

DisplayManager._0.terminateServer:      true

in your xdm-config file.  This restarts the server every time you log out.

-Matt

-----
Matt White
Email: mwhite+@cmu.edu		http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/mwhite/www/