Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 2004 23:04:58 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        kstewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Subject:   Re: is there an 'open-source' RealPlayer?

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 07:43:04PM -0700, kstewart wrote:
> On Saturday 04 September 2004 02:43 pm, Gary Kline wrote:

> > > What java plugin are you talking about?
> >
> >  Not a plugin but whatever jdk-* supports java in its
> >  many uses.  javascript and whatever else.  On my laptop
> >  I have netscape7 which appears to come with everything
> >  pre-built and -installed.  Given my druthers, I rather
> >  use mozilla.
>
> I have java running in mozilla. Did you also install
> linuxpluginwrapper-20040831 and follow the instructions?

	No.  I haven't tried any non-Linux port for months.
	The linux-* ports are painful--fetching the jdk|sdk
	ports are doubly hard to find.  But evventually
	(almost) everything does work.

	Can you check your pkg list and list the mozilla
	and java ports?  --If thr linuxpluginwrapper will
	magically make FBSD mozilla work:: WOW!

> > > I have a volcano in México called Popocatépetl that I follow and I need a
> > > javavm plugin setup for mozilla.The page used to work with mozilla and
> > > not konqueror but now it works with konqueror and not mozilla.
> > >
> > >  RealPlayer8 work with both of them but works much better with mozilla. I
> > > got irritated with my setup while I was typing this and fixed konqueror
> > > so that it would default to realplay on *.ram files.
> >
> >  Have you used links -g?  I finally figured out howto get both
> >  realplay and xmms|zink to work with this browser.  Happened to
> >  discover that Real does play mp3's.  Works with Shoutcast.
>
> Will have to look into this.

	I can post my ~/.links/link.cfg or mail it.
	(One of these centuries, I'll create a BSD.thought.org
	virtual website and put up things I've learned that
	may be of value to others... )

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix