Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 13:04:40 +0100
From:      Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>
To:        "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: after upgrade, can't restart apache via cron

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 10:17:54PM -0500, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> FreeBSD bewilderbeast.blackhelicopters.org 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #15: Thu Nov  8 14:02:45 EST 2012     mwlucas@bewilderbeast.blackhelicopters.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> I can manually restart apache22 with the following /etc/rc.conf entries:
>
> apache22_enable="YES"
> apache22_fib=0
>
> I have a cron entry that restarts apache regularly, to compensate for
> some mysql daftness.
>
> 13  *  * * * /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart
>
> When this job runs, I get the following email:

[..]
> eval: setfib: not found
[..]

> If I run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache22 restart from the command line, I
> can restart httpd without trouble.

As others pointers out already it is a PATH issue, but I don't think
that restoring /usr/sbin in PATH is the answer here.

You should be using service(8) script since it does The Right Thing(tm).
Apache will be started in more-or-less same environment that was used
during boot time. (My personal opinion is that startup scripts should
prepare such environment on their own unless explicitly told otherwise,
and by environment I mean more that 'environment' variables.)

If this is a bug or not I cannot say. /etc/rc.subr contains lines like:
SYSCTL="/sbin/sysctl"
ID="/usr/bin/id"

for few tools, rest is assumed to work with provided PATH.

To sum up, use service(8) and you will be fine.

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>