Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 22:50:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.0

On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Studded wrote:

> > gcc requries massive hacking to work.  Check in on the -hackers mail
> > archives for current progess; we're still working on it.
>
> 	This is a question I've been meaning to ask. I always took not being
> able to upgrade gcc in stride because it's not been a priority for me.
> However I was looking over some security stuff and one of the first
> recommendations for securing a high priority machine is to remove the
> compiler. I know that gcc is tightly integrated into FreeBSD, but I'm
> wondering now if that's such a good idea.

Blowing it away is OK.  I did it pretty quickly on a 40MB printserver I
put together last week.

rm /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/cc /usr/libexec/cc1plus ....
rm -rf /usr/include

This was while sysinstall was still downloading stuff :-)  Of course I did
the bonehead thing of removing /usr/lib; luckily mount_nfs is statically
linked!

> 	Which leads me to my question. Are there any plans to dis-integrate gcc
> from the base? It seems like the gcc folks are being more agressive
> about more frequent upgrades, so it would be nice to be able to play
> around with them.

The main problem upgrading gcc is that FSF doesn't recognize a.out and we
haven't converted to ELF yet.  Secondly, the FreeBSD project prefers to
wait it out until gcc falls into a proven stable release.  The early
several releases are often buggy and patches quickly follow.  Why do you
think we run 2.7.2.1 and not 2.7.0?  ;-)

> More importantly it would be nice to be able to trim
> gcc out with one fell swoop when needed. Obviously this would be a
> -current thing, but I'm wondering if its on the drawing board.

removing gcc is simply removing the headers and binaries and some of the
libs.  You can probably figure out what you need and what you don't.