Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:17:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      <mario@schmut.com>
To:        <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Symantec Ghost-like app for UFS?

this is what i did on FreeBSD 4.6 and 7

# to dump the entire hard drive onto another one

setup the partitions and slices on your new hard drive.
i did it this way, but command line works too.

 * do /stand/sysinstall
 * post configuration - fdisk - setup the partition
 * post configuration - label - setup the root and swap slices

# then do this for each slice you want to back up

[root@quack ~]#mount /dev/<slice> /mountPoint
[root@quack ~]#cd /mountPoint
[root@quack /mountPoint]#dump 0f - /oldSlice | restore -rf -

uh, you might want to do this in single user mode

then swap the new hard drive in place of the old one
or change your fstab and boot up on it.

mario;>

Do You Schmut!?
http://www.schmut.com