Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:03:58 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      Alex Morozov <alex@idisys.iae.nsk.su>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Numerous questions about Card manager behaviour

Hello!

I have a PCMCIA wireless lan adapter for which I have to write a driver.
Unfortunately I have a very little experience with PC-cards in general
and with FreeBSD in particular :-). But I must to try anyway. Please be
patient to my [possible stupid:-)] questions.

As far as I see the freebsd card manager unlike say linux card manager
does the most job on configuring the card. The card_init procedure
gets already assigned irq and (has to get) already mapped card's attribute
memory, right? The question: is the card's shared memory also mapped at
this point or I should perform this "by hands"? Is there any specific
calls (like CardServices(RequestWindow...)) to perform the task?

BTW, I'm faced with the strange behaviour of the card manager. It
configured to use 0xd000 memory by default. I wrote a stub driver to
perform several tests on the card and see that the card manager
correctly assigns irq but id_iobase and id_maddr is zeroed.
My card seems not to use a traditional I/O ports operating model
performing all tasks through registers in the attribute window so
id_iobase==0 not so fatal, but id_maddr... When I use
pccardc enabler and specify id_maddr by hand I got reasonable looking
value (0xC00D*000) which I believe the kernel virtual address of the
window. It's interesting how to fix the problem.

I use FreeBSD-3.3-release.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely Yours, Alexey Morozov