Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:50:30 +0200
From:      Julien Laffaye <jlaffaye@freebsd.org>
To:        Reko Turja <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to remove erroneous deps from pkgng

On 7/20/2012 8:36 PM, Reko Turja wrote:
>> Its use is not limited to Gnome, as you can see it's used in the build
>> process of databases/sqlite3 and there are many other ports that have
>> nothing to do with Gnome that use it the same way. The only thing that
>> is wrong with it is that ends up being a run time dependency of
>> sqlite3 instead of being only a build time dependency. Maybe this
>> could be changed, anyone know if it's possible?
>
> Actually, sqlite3 builds and works quite fine with pkg-config
> dependency removed from makefile. So it's kinda silly to pull it in by
> force - of course it's not pkgng problem, but a problem in the port
> itself.
sqlite3 installs "/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/sqlite3.pc".
So I think the rationale is if a developper wants to link against
sqlite3 using the pkg-config file, he should have pkg-config on his machine.
If you go this way, you could also ask why sqlite3 install header files
which are not needed for the runtime dependency (when what is required
is only the shared object)...

> Just hoping that in pkgng there would be some "Yes I might shoot
> myself in foot, but sod it" -options.
Well, if you really want to shoot yourself, you can edit the local db
with sqlite.