Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:02:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: parity errors

 * > two lockups (no message on console).  I disabled parity check in the
 * > BIOS, and world aborted once with a sh seg-faulting and once with
 * > a syntax error from make.

 *   They are true parity simms right?

I think so.  There are 36 identical-looking chips on each module.
I've never seen such big SIMMs before.

However, I brought the memory home and stuck it in my computer, and
make world's almost done.  Maybe it's the mothearboard that can't
handle the big modules, I have an Intel Venus at work and Asus P6NP5
at home.

Which brings up another question: does anyone have the Venus working
with 64MB memory modules?  Is the Venus one of those that can't work
with 24-chip or higher modules?

We had two computers at work (pretty much the same hardware as others)
with thise 64MB modules, running Windows NT for Adobe PhotoShop.  They
kept crashing with lots of different errors, so I swapped the memory
with my package-building machine and got errors.  If it's that one
module is bad, I would think at least one of the machines would run
ok.

Of course, after I swapped the memory, the machines kept crashing so
maybe some of that was just general Windows NT flakiness.

 * 					Do you have parity checking or
 * ECC turned on in the CMOS setup?

Sorry, by "BIOS" above I meant "CMOS".

Satoshi