Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 17:45:11 -0500
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        Dan Walters <hannibal@cyberstation.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting bandwidth on a socket?  (SO_RCVBUF?)

At 10:51 PM 11/5/96 -0600, Dan Walters wrote:
>I'm trying to come up with some way to limit the amount of bandwidth on a
>socket, so I can have my mail and large files retrieve without slowing
>down a telnet session that much.
>
>I thought I could do this by setting SO_RCVBUF to a small value, but it
>doesn't seem to change the window size at all when I look at it with
>tcpdump.

You need to limit both SNDBUF and RCVBUF since your background xfers are
also pushing outgoing :)

Perchance that you might drop the buffers to less than the MTU, then you
only wait for one background packet ahead of your outbound .  Making
the buffer even smaller would lessen the wait even further, but would
degrade background performance, but decrease latency.

Alas, you could always upgrade to ISDN :)

-ken
---
Ken Lam                                                   lam@awod.com
Integrated Technical Systems
Systems, Networks, and Internet Solutions -- Defining Technology Today
  "'Plug and Play' was only applicable to the original ATARI(tm)"