Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:48:01 -0400
From:      dfolkins <dfolkins@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unexpected keep state behaviour in ipfw

> net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime is a tradeoff between keeping active
> connections alive and minimising the impact of massive numbers of
> dynamic rules.  I also feel that 300 seconds is too short (note that
> IPFilter uses 120 hours, which I think is far too long).  My problem
> is that the connections are being dropped after less than
> net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime seconds of idle time.  I have tried
> juggling net.inet.tcp.keepidle, net.inet.tcp.keepintvl and
> net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime so that the latter is longer than
> the former (in ipfw) and this still didn't work.  It would appear
> that the dynamic rule timers are never being reset.
>
> >as to why your ssh connection stays alive even through the night - i
> >suspect that is because your ssh server on your firewall has a
> >configuration setting that makes it send keep-alives, i.e. your
> >clientaliveinterval in sshd_config is set to some value which is less
> >than your net.inet.ip.fw.dyn_ack_lifetime value.
>
> Nope.  I'm using the default ClientAliveInterval value (ie disabled).
>
> Based on comments in another thread here, I suspect the underlying
> problem is that ipfw dynamic rules don't work with ipnat.  (Though
> I don't understand why - ipnat should be invisible to ipfw).  My
> ssh connectins remain working courtesy of either normal or ipfw2
> keepalives (since that connection isn't NAT'd).

well, given this description, i guess maybe you are right, and its having
problems with ipnat.  i had some problems with natd/ipfw myself (cf recent
thread in -security), so its possible ipfw doesnt behave well with ipnat
either.  maybe the solution is to switch to ipfilter after all...

sorry i couldnt be more helpful.
--
dfolkins