Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:18:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Atipa stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Any news on the following high-demand technologies?
> >
> > Universal Serial Bus (USB)
> > 	http://www.usb.org (503)264-0590
> > 	Modular, _Powered_ I/O w/ neato hubs
> > 	12Mbit/sec, up to 127 devices
>
> There are several developers working on this.  IMHO USB is an abomination
> with "Job Security" written on almost every page of the spec. 8(

Ha. I see no NEED for USB; only added convenience.  It would be easier to
deal with than a cyclades! If a good API were present, it would be a nice
"geek-port" type of interface.

This type of interface, if well supported, would make computers EASIER. I
know that is not the main concern of people in this group (who are oviously
technically adept), but it is still a noble goal. One that is especially
appreciated by those of us in the support industry! :)

> > Intel 430TX Chipset / PIIX3 Controller
> > 	built-in UltraDMA IDE (33MByte/sec)
> > 	support for SDRAM
> > 	built-in USB
>
> All of these either require no support, are already supported, or have been
> discussed above.

I do not believe UltraDMA is supported. The PIIX3 is quite a bit
different than the PIIX2, with the RTC and USB built in.

> > DVD CD-ROMs and hardware decoders
> How are they different from "normal" CD-ROMs?

They require hadware decoders. The cinema and audio industries freaked
out when they saw the potential for digital duplicates. DVD is encrypted
on the media and passed through a decoder. I am certainly no expert, but
it does require additional hardware support, above and beyond the host
interface.

Kevin