Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 12:54:02 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp0 "sleeping" Problem (NOT NEW DRIVER RELATED)

>110/2560/2560 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>
>Generally I never see the clusters above 150 or so UNLESS the card is
>"hung" which I suspect is a symptom and not the cause...
>
>We don't need to do anything to have it come back - just wait, and then
>everything seems just fine like as if nothing had happened at all.
>It seems to sleep about 5 minutes. I can't tell if it sleeps for a
>specific length of time or not, but from the missed  ping responses, it
>seems like it varys from time to time.

   This looks like a SYN or similar type of attack - lots of connection
requests/new connections use up all of the mbuf clusters and they have to
time out before the network is usable again.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.