Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:45:01 -0400
From:      Farhan Khan <khanzf@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding wifi source code

Thomas,

I was planning on also porting over the Atheros AR9271 driver from NetBSD
(athn(4) /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/if_athn_usb.c), but not until I finish the
current device I am working on. It might not be for a while though. There
is likely a lot of shared code with ath(4) on FreeBSD
(/usr/src/sys/dev/athn). NetBSD seems to separate all code between USB and
PCI, whereas FreeBSD combines drivers. Let me know if I can help out, as I
already own this device and would be willing to test out code or
troubleshoot with you.

I am currently working on another driver from Linux to FreeBSD. The core
concepts are the same, but a lot of code is in different order. FreeBSD
drivers have an attach function that assign function pointers to the softc
struct. The Linux equivalent is in DRIVERNAME_ops. In my case, this:
http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/linux-master/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtlwifi/rtl8188ee/sw.c#224
.

Hope this helps. But yes, would love to work on AR9271!

--
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: 782F 342B 5B08 0D2F F4E8 82C3 FFA1 CAE1 6536 51CA