Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2022 01:19:58 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

--w83y9aIiZCIUppBt

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 03:32:06PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>First, this issue does not belong in /usr/src/UPDATING. X and all graphics
>is not a part of the base system in FreeBSD. It is in many ports, though,
>so any such information belongs in /usr/ports/UPDATING.

I checked /usr/src/UPDATING just in case it was there; that=20
i'd missed something. Because it's a kernel module, I thought maybe=20
it might be in there, no harm checking there as well as /usr/ports

>I will also say that I have been annoyed several times by changes that
>impacted operations that were not mentioned in UPDATING. I don't go yell
>obscenely to the world about it.=20

It was bowlderised heavily, as you can see, and it was said in order=20
to communicate frustration. And it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular,=20
It was about a process not being followed and the consequences of that.=20

This has happened multiple times with multiple ports, as I have=20
mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

If this was the first time it's happened, fine, I mean I may=20
not have even bothered to post about it either in bugzilla=20
or even here. The first place I look when something goes=20
wrong is me and what I might have done. Only when ive checked
thoroughly as much as possible at my end do I report the issue.

The issue I mentioned in this thread concerning the font has been
addressed (thank you).

>I drop a note to the maintainer (
>freebsd-x11@freebsd.org in this case) reminding them that this change
>really needs to be documented so people will not have very irritating
>problems. If this does not work, I open a ticket which will, at least,
>annoy the maintainer(s) into taking some action.

Have you read the thread? I've done what you cite before and it's gone nowh=
ere.=20
Hence this thread. I don't even know (now) if bugzilla is the right
and proper place for this type of problem, because it's not a "bug"
in the program. It seems to be one of process, so I have absolutely
no idea of a place that would address my concerns with regard to this
UPDATING non-use

>Much of the work done to make FreeBSD progress is by volunteers, although
>more and more is paid for by donations (FreeBSD Foundation) or by employees
>of companies that depend on it for their products/services. The volunteers
>are likely to just get mad and stop helping if this sort of thing comes
>very often.

Indeed. There's another side to that, too. Consumers (ie. users) will becom=
e=20
demotivated to report problems (any problems) if they follow all the rules=
=20
and they become unstuck, if their unstuck-ness is not addressed.
They are (possibly? probably) submitting reports in their spare time.

But this issue, this subject, wasn't about "ports". It's the latest
example (that I know of) of the issue with non-updated UPDATING.

I still don't know what to do about that, indeed, if anything can be=20
done about it. The situation has made me not trust the ports tree,
and I look after (and have to update) many servers which use ports.

--=20
J.

--w83y9aIiZCIUppBt

--w83y9aIiZCIUppBt--