Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:35:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sharedactive patch for inn1.4-unoff3

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Brian Tao wrote:

>     Has anyone been able to use in.nnrpd patched with sharedactive on
> a FreeBSD 2.1.0-R system?  I applied the patch, remade the in.nnrpd
> binary and tried readin news.  No go.  It either segfaults on connect,
> or it makes the connection but then hangs (I can see the in.nnrpd
> process on the server, but it isn't chewing up any CPU time).

Yeah... I have it running (although the memory profiles are a little
strange -- anyone else running it who'll post a ps -aux?)

The big thing is that this requires a kernel recompile--you need to turn
on  SYSV IPC .  I ended up with the following in my kernel config:

options    SYSVSHM
options    "SHMMAXPGS=512"   # 2048Kb (?) of sharable memory
options    SYSVSEM          # enable for semaphores
options    SYSVMSG          # enable for messaging

I'm not sure that it really comes out to 2Meg of shareable memory, but you
need at least SHMMAXPGS=128 to run the patch as it comes (out of the box).
However, that expects your active file to only be 500000 bytes (mine's
larger).  I set mine to 700000 and 15000 groups and had to recompile the
kernel to get it to not error.  However, it won't core if you just have
the SHMMAXPGS set too small--you'll just get some error when trying to
connect to the server.

> --
> Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
> Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.
> "Though this be madness, yet there is method in't"

Bryan K. Ogawa
Questions or Problems with NetVoyage?  help@netvoyage.net
Check out the NetVoyage HelpWeb at..   <URL: http://www.netvoyage.net/~help/>;