Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2012 05:42:57 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 stability/robustness?

On 1 November 2012, at 19:14, Brett Glass wrote:

> I need to build up a few servers and routers, and am wondering how
> FreeBSD 9.1 is shaping up. Will it be likely to be more stable and
> robust than 9.0-RELEASE?

Doug Hardie responded:

> It appears to be for me.  I had problems with 9.0 not reading CDs and rebooting with no error messages frequently.  I have upgraded to 9.1-RC2 and it now
> reads CDs just fine, and has not rebooted.  However, the uptimes with 9.0 ranged from about 2 hours to 30 days.  I have only had 9.1-RC2 running for a
> couple weeks so have not declared victory yet.  I has been running for more than most of the uptimes already.

I too had problems with 9.0 spontaneously rebooting after a day or two uptime.  One was a freeze after a cvs update of NetBSD pkgsrc.  The second time was a spontaneous reboot during a time of idleness; I was in the same room and heard the computer sounds.

No more such problem after I updated, building from source, to RELENG_9 (STABLE).

I haven't updated yet to 9.1 prerelease, bogged down with ports-upgrading snags and cross-compiling NetBSD.

Tom