Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:29:43 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Celeron + FreeBSD?

At 17:08 11/04/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello. I want to get a Dual celeron going with freebsd as the OS. My
>question is, do the chips have to have the same stepping? I read
>somewhere that if the chips do NOT have the same stepping, it screws up,
>
>and causes blue screens in NT, and i was wondering if anything similar
>happens in FreeBSD. I figure it'll be difficult to get 2 celerons with
>the same stepping. I am just planning on getting 2 retial ppga celeron
>433's. I read somewhere else that "it was just a myth and the processors
>
>do NOT have to have the same stepping." so i'm just searching for the
>truth. Thanks.
>

>Scott

I will take a chance here and say, against the many people who have said
otherwise, that getting the same stepping is important.  Different
steppings can (AFAIK) use different microcode, and a mix'n'match approach
could cause some very hard to track down errors when the CPUs don't
communicate properly.  I'm no expert on the subject, that's just my
opinion.  It might "mostly" work, but what good is that?

The good news is that you will almost certainly get two Celerons of the
same stepping.  I *think* all currently manufactured Celerons are of Id
0x665 (stepping 5).  Also, all current Celerons are MP-capable, unlike the
Pentium days when you had to look for an "SSS" CPU.  Any two new Celeries
of the same speed are pretty much guaranteed to do SMP together.

In short: I don't think it's a myth, it's just not something to worry about
in your particular situation.

Disclaimer: Of course, I may be talking out of my ***.

Tom Embt                                 ICQ UIN:  11245398
tom@embt.com                                         d:-)>