Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:54:17 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd "hanging" behavior with -STABLE ...

Thus spake Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>:
> At first I'd thought it might be hardware related, but if it is, its a
> behaviour I haven't seen before ...
>
> I have two machines .. one -STABLE as of Feb 1st, the other of Feb 6th ...
> the one on Feb 6th itermediantly "hangs" ... but doesn't stay hung ...
>
> For instance, I woke up this morning to checked on the one that has been
> giving problems, and, once more, it was 'hung' ... checked ruptime on the
> other server, and it reported that it was down 9hrs ... type 'uptime' on
> an option console I have on the 'hung' server, and after a couple of
> minutes, it comes back with the answer, and I can proceed to enter a few
> more commands ... come back a bit later, and its 'hung' again, with pretty
> much the same routine ...
>
> I'm trying to CVSup back to the sources from the 1st, to see if that helps
> correct the problem, but does anyone have any ideas on what might be
> causing this?  There is nothing in /var/log/messages to indicate a problem

Does it seem to be basically responsive (e.g. you can switch
virtual consoles), but processes hang when they try to do I/O?  If
you can run top while you see this problem, it should tell you
what state processes are getting stuck in.  You can get the same
information by breaking into the debugger and typing 'ps'.  I had
a problem like this that involved the SCSI controller randomly
timing out.  Decreasing the tag queue length solved the problem.