Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 01:44:07 +0000
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/wcd alpha quality and CD-recordable

I have been doing some research into recordable Recordable. While looking
at the FreeBSD website I noticed that the website says the ATAPI support
for CDROM is alpha quality. Hmmph.

I used wcd IDE CDROM driver with out a lick of trouble. I noticed that
many, many users have had trouble getting their drives to work because they
never set the jumpers correctly. Most assumed that because it worked in DOS
then it should work in FreeBSD despite being misconfigured. It seemes not
to be the devices fault that it was not set up right.

Is there something that I don't know about the reliabilty of ATAPI? FWIW,
ATAPI support in FreeBSD seems fine to me.

That being said, using recordable CD looks tricky from what I have read
about it on the web.

Can I use the existing CD9660 filesytem to write to an ATAPI recordable CD
such as the Mitsumi 2600? This would be really great.

Do I require third party software to write to CD? This would be OK.

Is writing to CD even remotely feasible in the near future of FreeBSD? This
would be no so good.

Boy I would really like to tar files to that shiny and flight worthy little
disc. :)

I can see it now. "Hey jason, transfer those files to me!"
      - ZOOOOOOM... WHACK!!!!

Thanks,
Jason Wells
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net
     )     Wannabe Sysadmin * The homeless domain
)-------(       Jason Wells * "Pardon me sir, spare some bandwidth?"
 \_____/