Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:37:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@scms.utmb.EDU>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with lynx and recent -current

Machine is a 4CPU AS2100A 5/250, 1GB mem.

Successfully installed a 4.4RC minimal system, cvsupped to recent
current (approx 11:10 AM CDT [US Central time], Sept. 20, from
cvsup6), did make buildworld (which completed with no errors),
did make buildkernel using a config file created by just removing
extraneous stuff from GENERIC.  The config file was NOT for an
SMP kernel.  Copied GENERIC.hints to /boot/device.hints and did
make installkernel.  Rebooted successfully into single user mode
to run installworld (which was successful) and mergemaster (which
was uneventful).  When I rebooted single user I got (copied by
hand):

<quote>
ok boot -s
Entering /boot/kernel/kernel at 0xfffffc000032cf20...
sio1: gdb debugging port

halted CPU 0

halt code = 6
double error halt
PC = 18fe8
P00>>>
</quote>

That was what was on the screen when the dust settled, but it did
get into the boot messages (screen turned from blue to black and
text appeared), but I am not sure how far, as all that was gone
when it got back to the SRM prompt.

When I attempt a regular boot (not single user), I get copious
register dump info and cannot see the output above.

The main question I have is whether I am wasting my time.  This
machine needs to use all four processors to do scientific number
crunching.  So far, all I have invested is time (I inherited it
from our IS group).  However, if SMP on Alpha is not likely to be
up to this task, on this machine, in the foreseeable future, I'll
just have them come and take it to the surplus inventory
warehouse.  Could someone give me a candid assessment, please?

Assuming I'm not wasting my time, what are the next steps?  I
assume I'm going to have to set up a laptop as serial console,
etc, but don't want to mess around with that unless it is really
required (I'm really pretty close to getting rid of it).

It seems interesting to me that it successfully booted to do the
installworld.  That seems to point to some module being loaded
that is at fault, since the loader being used at that point was
from the 4.4RC(2?) installation.  However, I did not look at what
modules were being loaded.  I have not manually edited any of the
loader configuration files, so whatever is happening, it is the
default behaviour.

Thanks,
Bud Dodson

PS,
I can't get the kern.flp from the "Sun Jul 22 02:37:34 GMT 2001"
snapshot to boot either.  That was my fallback position.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790