Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 01:02:23 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        giles@nemeton.com.au (Giles Lean)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, config@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config metasyntax

Giles Lean stands accused of saying:

> > Later, anything that cares about options can access all of this and
> > make up its own mind; the parser should not need to know or care
> > what the attributes and their valus are.)
>
> In practice with tools implemented this way there is usually little
> semantic checking, so typos such as incorrectly spelt attributes are
> not detected and the Wrong Thing happens.

Er, you don't mean semantic checking, you mean content checking, correct?

As I've already observed, the parser should not know anything about
the _content_ of the attributes it parses, and thus cannot possibly
attempt to validate them.

> Tools with more integrated semantic checks (typical with yacc :) don't
> have this problem.

They also have rigid and untrivially-extensible syntaxen.

> If you use TCL, please validate input carefully.

Insofar as is possible, sure.  I don't think, however, that the sort
of checking that you describe is feasible, desirable or even
necessary, given that the input isn't going to be user-supplied.