Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 11:50:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, toor@dyson.iquest.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: You will need to recompile your libc and apps!!!

> > > There is a serious bug in popen that has gone undetected until now.  I
> > > have just committed a fix that makes the shared address space vfork
> > > problem go away (which was due to the popen boo-boo.)  I will not
> > > be committing the fix to vfork until people have a chance to recompile
> > > their libc and re-link their apps with the corrected library.
> >
> > Just a heads up...
> >
> > To build the new libc, you will need to be running a version of 'ld'
> > that understands the "-O" option.
>
> If I get any complaints from people running -current that they cannot
> build the libc, I'll put one on an anonymous ftp site for their use.
> It is libc as of today.  Just let me know if you need it.  (BTW,
> one shouldn't run -current without preparing to rebuild things, but
> I am just trying to help if you can't.)

No, I needed to rebuild libc for a different reason: to get the
new_getvfsbyname() call for the move to a post Lite2 kernel, and
ran into all this bogus BS dependencies on "-O".  It's quite
annoying that you have to rebuild basically all of user space in
order to build the kernel-dependent portions of user space, is all
I'm saying.

If anyone goes into this with a faint heart (or full disks), then
they're going to get royally screwed in the process because of the
Makefile.inc and /usr/share/mk/*.mk changes which presume a munged
"ld" to do the job of "strip" (for some reason I can't fathom, the

In any case, it's odd to depend on the build tools (other than as)
needing rebuilt, since (unlike as) they are pretty much like potato
chips: if you build one, you have to build them all.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---