Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2012 06:47:01 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        erdgeist@erdgeist.org
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal ipv6_addrs_common

----Security_Multipart(Tue_Feb__7_06_47_01_2012_164)--

Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org> wrote
  in <4F2F442F.3030509@erdgeist.org>:

er> The bugs in /etc/network.subr, function ifalias_up I would like to see
er> fixed, anyway:
er>
er> _ret=`ifalias_ipv4_up "$1"`
er>
er> just does not work the way you imagined it. The return code is not
er> passed when using _ret=`` but the command substituted by it's output
er> on stdout, it should read:
er>
er> ifalias_ipv4_up ${_if} && _ret=0
er>
er> as shown in my patch.

 Thanks for the report.  I will take a look into it.

er> > In my patch IPv6-mapped IPv4 address is not supported, but your
er> > patch can be merged easily.
er>
er> I like the idea of configuring a router or DNS server for several
er> subnets with one range as well, i.e. "inet 10.8.2-16.1/24", do you
er> think this makes sense?

 Sounds good to me.

er> > One thing in my mind is whether allowing a variable which contains
er> > multiple lines is reasonable or not.
er>
er> I do not understand the problem there, does your code actually DEPEND
er> on new lines? If not, it's just a matter of taste how to arrange your
er> variables in your rc.conf, if it doesn't fit in 80 chars, you can
er> either overflow, add backslashes or use the style above. The rc's
er> author does not FORCE the user into one style, does he?

 It actually depends on the newline because the following code is used:

---
foo="
	foo
	bar
	baz
"

echo "$foo" | while read L; do echo $L; done
---

-- Hiroki