Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 20:26:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        kf7nn@kf7nn.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Using minicom with a pppdaemon

On Mon, 11 May 1998 kf7nn@kf7nn.com wrote:

> what do you mean waiting as a daemon?

I mean that PPP is started up as a daemon (ppp -auto) and dials when it
needs to forward packets...

> i know that not only does ppp do outgoing calls but it monitors for incoming
> calls as well and if the modem gets in an unknown state it will reinitialize
> it back to a known good state.

hmmm. what is true is that when I start minicom (like when I write these
lines) , it works fine sometimes, sometimes not. I think it mostly depends
of wether or not the connection was opened recently... Like now it's
working fine, but sometimes it justs "monitors the line input and
output... It's weird...

> i had a similiar problem where getty was on my com1 (cuaa0)port and when
> i tried to run minicom it was acting real strange, also hylafax tries to
> steal the port by instaling getty and ppp and hylafax fight each other.
>
> why do you want to run ppp and minicom at the same time anyway?
> I dont get it....

I often need to check my remote account in a terminal. And ppp doesn't
provide (to my knowledge) the capability of transmitting commands and
executing programs on the remote host.