Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2018 20:09:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        Zach Leslie <xaque208@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rubygem-facter versus sysutils/facter

On Mon, 5 Feb 2018, Zach Leslie wrote:

>=20
> On Feb 5, 2018 5:51 PM, "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org> wrote:
>       All,
>
>       I've lost the better part of an afternoon to this issue.=C2=A0 Thes=
e questions are not just specific to the above ports, but also as to how po=
rts are best built in general.

>       BACKGROUND:
>
>       The puppet ports require rubygem-facter.=C2=A0 There's a knob in th=
e port that lets you switch to sysutils/facter, which is more modern and wr=
itten in C. Rubygem-facter is based on facter
>       2, which is EOL as of 2016.=C2=A0 The new-style puppet facts are no=
w including more and more information that's not available in rubygem-facte=
r, and it means that the "Fact" documentation
>       on puppet.org doesn't at all match what you currently get on FreeBS=
D, even with a modern puppet.

>       The ruby folks have been trying to make a modern rubygem-version fo=
r years, but there's no real progress:

>       https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-1523 https://tickets.pup=
petlabs.com/browse/FACT-1542

>       Having to build a custom port of Puppet on every machine (which wou=
ld mean building ruby from scratch) is annoying as heck, and while I have m=
y own poudriere install and build repos,
>       it's *puppet* that places those on my production machines, so I'm l=
ooking for a bootstrapping method that "just works" as simply as 'pkg insta=
ll puppet4' does.
>=20
>=20
> Perhaps you have reasons not to, but sysutils/puppet5 should be the promi=
sed land you are looking for.=C2=A0 By default it uses sysutils/facter, and=
 since that seems to be your underlying goal, maybe
> start there.
>=20
> I can dig closer at your questions if that ends up being insufficient.

That might in fact be the answer, but that could involve upgrading a lot=20
of puppet clients, not all of whom might have a puppet5 binary available.=
=20
Puppet's new-model-year-push is kind of annoying for those of us that run=
=20
things long-term in prod.

It looks as though puppet5 works with a puppet4 server, but that's known=20
to break in the past.

In the meantime, I am actually curious about the questions I asked, as=20
they're more than this issue -- if specifying a binary name in a ports=20
Makefile will survive through to pkg.  (The docs say nothing one way or=20
the other), or how to get pkg to just do what I want it to (just install a=
=20
package but don't deinstall the conflicts, I know what I'm doing. really).

Perhaps I should ask those as standalone questions on their own.

-Dan

--=20