Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 21:31:45 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Sven Huster <sven.huster@mailsurf.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding "noschg" to ssh and friends

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

Sven Huster(sven.huster@mailsurf.com)@2001.05.30 01:30:34 +0000:
> the arguments here are a little bit funny.
> give the hacker the possibility otherwise he would do much
> more evil things. uhhh...
>=20
> i thought every single step to make a machine=20
> secure should be taken.
the honeypot/-trap method is a widely known one, so you set up a box
that looks like in-production for the people to crack and have some
serious countermeasures in place on that box. so you can manage the risk
of you server farm a little better.

bottom line:
- you do not want someone to steal data
- you do not want to disclose sensible secrets such as passwords
- there are a lot of rootkits out there
- none of them work for 99% of the script kiddies if you configure 2 or
  three things the rootkit "installer" script doesn't like
- if an attacker gets frustrated he tries to sabotage you whilst you are
  not able to directly intervene or prevent it
- NIS is NOT a secure solution for storing secrets off the machine,
  IMVHO. onetime methods such as s/key worked out to be better, at least
  for me and my users ;-) NIS is not immune to sniffing and requires the
  rpc portmapper. from the yp(4) man page:
  "Client NIS systems receive all NIS data in ASCII form."
  Ouch.
- there's a whole bunch of information in security(7), written by matt
- there are a lot of papers out there concerning unix security in
  general
- do not run network daemons you don't need
- if possible run network daemons as non-root
- kill inetd, use tcpserver (ucspi-tcp)
- be restrictive in setting subsystem permissions
- suid executables are a bad thing[tm]
- group permissions often are the key to managing impact from network
  based attacks
- schg does not prevent your system from being r00ted
- check your binaries, mtree can do that for you
- check your binaries, tripwire can do that for you
- check your binaries, ...
;-)

have fun
/k

--=20
> A Christian is a man who feels repentance on Sunday for what he did on
> Saturday and is going to do on Monday.  --Thomas Ybarra
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI

--l76fUT7nc3MelDdI--