Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 16:20:41 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Patrik Åström" <patrik.astrom@tv3.se>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cannot mount "/" after cvsup to 2.2.6-BETA !

Patrik Åström wrote:

> This morning I did a CVSUP to recompiled my kernel and after installed
> it and rebooted I got the error message.
>
> /dev/sd0a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device,
> filesystem mount failed.
>

>From Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>:

FreeBSD 2.2.6 introduces a change in the naming of the device from
which the root filesystem is mounted.  This change affects all systems,
however user intervention is only required for systems undergoing an
upgrade installation.

Previously, the root filesystem was always mounted from the
compatability slice, while other partitions on the same disk were
mounted from their true slice.  This might, for example, have resulted
in an /etc/fstab file like:

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2f             /local0         ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2e             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1

For FreeBSD 2.2.6 and later, this format changes so that the device for
'/' is consistent with others, ie.

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2f             /local0         ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2e             /usr            ufs     rw              1       1

On a new installation, this change is handled automatically by
Sysinstall.  For an upgrade where the local configuration information is
preserved, the user must make this change manually, by editing /etc/fstab.
THIS CHANGE IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

If /etc/fstab is not updated manually in this case, the system will
issue a warning message whenever / is mounted (normally at startup)
indicating the change that must be made.  In addition, trouble may be
experienced if the root filesystem is not correctly unmounted, whereby
the root filesystem will not be marked clean at the next reboot.

-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-4-4647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-4-4858139