Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:22:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginnings of a diskless boot sequence being committed

:...
:portions of the read-only root directory (which strikes as a bit odd in
:itself), I was considering union-mounting an MFS filesystem directly
:over the read-only root partition.  The advantage of this approach

    It isn't a bad idea, but I dunno how stable the union filesystem is.

    I prefer to be told when I'm not supposed to write somewhere, though :-)
    I like keeping things formally read-only if that is what they essentially
    are.

    If all else fails, perhaps use of union will allow overriding /etc.
    Hmmm.

:is that you do not have to know ahead of time what portions of the
:read-only partition need to be writable -- files get copied into the MFS
:partition only if and when they are written to.
:
:Thoughts?  It seems like it would be feasible, and it might even be
:possible to do it directly in /etc/fstab without having to put any sort
:of cleverness in /etc/rc.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>