Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 1996 09:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        scsi
Subject:   Re: Setting disk sector size?

> > >  compile a krnrel without that test in sd.c
> > > and use that to change the setup..
> > > >

> > I tried that before I sent the message.  It hangs (OK, to be more
> > specific, it times out).  I think that the problem is that scsi tries
> > to access the disk before it reads the mode page.  scsiformat issues a
> > direct scsi command, so I assume that I could issue a write command
> > and write it back.  Unfortunately, I'm on vacation at the moment, and
> > I don't have any documentation with me.
>
> Use the control device for the disk - it will bypass normal processing
> and all you can do is issue ioctl's against it.  The control device
> is the one with the crazy minor number:
>
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel   13, 536870912 Jan 10  1996 /dev/rsd0.ctl
>
> You should be able to issue the mode page editing
> and format commands against that device.

Thanks, that solved the first hurdle.  With 'scsi -f /dev/rsd0.ctl -m
3 -P 3' I can now display the mode page.  Unfortunately, 'scsi -f
/dev/rsd0.ctl -m 3 -P 3 -e' gives me a blank file to edit.  I've
checked with ktrace, and it seems that scsi isn't writing the file
before invoking the editor.  I tried copying in the output from the
scsi command, but it didn't appear to do anything with it.  I'm about
to jump into the code, but if anybody has any suggestions first, I'd
be glad to hear of them.

Greg