Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 02:42:31 -0400
From:      Alain Hebert <aal@pubnix.net>
To:        "freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heavy CAM Problems...

(Just in case...  I'm not native english some part are more
understandable if you read-it as it sound!)

	SOLVED!  (Or at least isolated...)

	That's what is happening...

	The new cables (U2W: The one with a terminator and with all the wire
independently connecter to the connector (but still in serial fashion) )
are kinda having quite a ride on EMI...  Yeap, your PC emit like a small
Radio station!  So you have to make sure where you route the cable
throughout the casing.

	Like, Justin said: that the Adaptec Guys thinks it hardware...  Some
timing or access sequence were surely changed between 0520 and 0712 and
made that problem appear more frequently.

	So a good SCSI hygiene and good posture (don't route the cable around
the power, but near the casing following a single direction, not to
pinch or apply stress to the cable or wire...) might generally solve the
problem.

	(This can explain why some got 0x17d and others 0x17e...  I was
re-arranging it tonight when I start getting 0x2!)

	So, I'm mailing from a functional 0712 installation with a 3.0-current
kernel (but I still have the patch Justin send us...  Will see without
it tomorrow, OK!)

	Have fun with your 3.0-19980716-CAM system.  (I will for sure!)