Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:47:56 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        what ever <thursday@freeshell.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man doesn't work sometimes

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 03:31:32PM +0000, what ever wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a slightly puzzling problem. Running man <some_command>
> sometimes segfaults, as below, and sometimes it doesn't.
>
> # man mail
> Formatting page, please wait.../usr/bin/groff: troff: Segmentation fault
> Done.
[...]
> & Etcetera. I am at a bit of a loss.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD4.4-Release, (installed as a binary upgrade from
> 4.2-RELEASE). man version is 1.1
>
> Here is what groff & troff say about themseleves:
>
> # groff -v
> GNU groff version 1.17.2
[...]
> Any ideas?

ISTR a problem report with similar symptoms.  It turned out to be
a bad troff(1) binary on the release media.  See if the installed
/usr/bin/troff binary matches that on the release media.  Standard
CD-ROM distribution has a live file system on a second disc in the
set.  Mount it and compare checksums with md5(1).

BTW, where did you get your 4.4-RELEASE, and on which media?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,