Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2016 18:44:01 -0400
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List etiquette

--n10OBferuSieRPMBUrg7vuOmLVwgDaR6U
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--Dej43Fnuo3x3AVef9NG8Qn4jV22Fhc6Ud

On 09/06/2016 18:14, Duane Whitty wrote:
> I would like to pose a question to a specific user on the thread
> "advice for buying a laptop" on freebsd-questions@.  Should I send the
> question to the list only, or list and cc (or bcc) user, or just to
> the user?  I would hope the etiquette includes the list as I think the
> answer could be potentially valuable to others.

It's generally better to keep the list in the loop when asking questions
-- it's fine to respond to what a specific person is saying with the
expectation they're going to reply in turn and there will be a
back-and-forth conversation.  However, you don't have any assurance that
anyone *will* necessarily reply to any specific message and you really
can't insist that any specific person does respond to you.  Chances are
that if person A doesn't respond, one of the other list denizens
probably will.

	Cheers,

	Matthew