Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:31:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        mbermal@ucsd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux host config

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Mark Bermal wrote:

> 	I have been having problems with some linux programs that use the
> network (real player and quake). I think it is due to the fact that the
> host.conf and hosts files are written differently under linux. Does anyone
> know the correct syntax for these files under linux (the ones under
> /usr/compat/linux/etc).

I just did a quick check - looking at a 3.1 /compat/linux/etc and
a RedHat 5.2 /etc.  Because I've noticed that RealPlayer doesn't
seem to work well also (claims the site is inaccessible, when running
on Windows it works fine - from the same physical subnet, going through
the same FreeBSD NATD gateway.)

The RedHat /etc/host.conf looks like:

        order hosts,bind
        multi on

while the FreeBSD /compat/linux/etc/host.conf looks like:

        order hosts, bind
        multi on

The only real difference is the space after the comma (maybe there's
a bug in the Linux libraries somewhere, and that space shouldn't
be there?)

As far as /etc/host - that seems to be the typical format.  A FreeBSD
one should work fine.

	- Dave Rivers -