Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:55:45 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tertiary IDE controller

On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 10:08:37PM -0500, Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Neil Darlow <neil@darlow.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > The CD-ROM drive is pulling the associated disk drive down to UDMA-33
> > operation so I wish to move the CD-ROM onto a separate IDE controller.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good PCI IDE interface card for FreeBSD?
>
> I have a Promise Ultra/66 (or some name similar to that) and it works just
> fine.

Except you will lose tagged queing ability, but that's not problem
in this case. But, as Søren pointed out lately, the Promise ATA/66
ATAPI support is very poor and ATAPI DMA support is simply lacking.
I had problems setting up Plextor ATAPI CD-RW and do not recommend
connecting ATAPI devices to Promise ATA/66 controller. Better ask
Søren for recommended cards, one which I remember was HPT370 series.
Hope this helps to avoid confusion later.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee