Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 14:21:38 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        J McKitrick <j_mckitrick@bigfoot.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

At 20:15 17-03-2000 +0000, J McKitrick wrote:
>How does he suggest that people who love programming make a living?
>Waiting tables on the weekends?  :(
>I'm going to school because i hope to make a living doing what i love,
>and getting paid for it, even if that pay is modest in comparison to
>other fields.

I wipe butts for a living. Literally! While my software is used all over
the world, I work for near-minimum wage as a nursing assistant, caring for
people with disabilities. My duties include cleaning them up whenever they
are incontinent.

For years, I was trying the shareware marketing approach, but no one felt
like paying for shareware, no doubt part because of the attitude pushed by
Stalin. I know it was not because my software was not successful. Indeed, I
was quite a celebrity on Fidonet about a decade ago. At that time I
experienced a total burn-out, and did not even program for several years.

Hopefully, this is about to change. It appears with the growth of the
Internet it is again possible to make money by letting people download your
software and actually pay for it.

Cheers,
Adam

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award