Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:56:58 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, gryphon@healer.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@freebs.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> With respect, the porting time required is proportional to the portability
> of the code.  The overhead is realtive to how clean the code base is in
> the first place.

With equal respect, "porting" a product for any ISV of reasonable size
is a fair greater challenge than simply getting the software
"running."  The product needs to be separately QA'd and tech support
needs to understand any issues particular to any given platform (and
believe me, even for the same product on multiple platforms the tech
support problem gets skewed by local configuration issues).

If shipping on a new platform were like a calf roping contest where
you're allowed to throw your hands up in victory after the calf's feet
are well tangled, no matter now inelegant the knot, well then sure! :-)

					Jordan