Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:03:38 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't bet on 3.0 release

At 11:49 AM 10/18/98 -0400, Dennis wrote:
>-RELEASE implies that its ready for the general public. If its still in
>BETA, which your comments indicate it is, then it should not
>be released. What's the point of doing a release if its not ready?

Consider that it is the first release of the 3.x branch.  Regardless of the
OS or application a major release almost always means new features.  Along
with new problems.  When the last transition from 2.1.x -> 2.2 was
happening, I held back for that reason.  I'm going to need some of the
features in 3.0 very soon, but do realize the risk.  For 2.2 I could wait.

Don't forget the original problem was with a port, which admittedly they
should be fixed or not included.  At least they are marked broken if one
but checks and reads the fine print.

Call it a release with reservations. ;)

I don't have any, it's solid enough for my needs, which are not trivial for
one server.

Jeff Mountin - Unix Systems TCP/IP networking
jeff@mountin.net