Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:53:17 -0500
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd file repair

In single user mode, I would think it is always from  the console.
When I try
  #TERM=cons50 vipw
I get a screen with any tilde's (~) down the side, no text.
As for the esc key, I was expecting vipw to operate as is would in
a multi-usr environment, with esc being the ``menu driver''.

When I enter
  #TERM=cons50 EDITOR=/usr/bin/ee vipw
I get ``normal'' operation.

Thanks for the help