Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 08:35:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Excellent Gartner Group report: Debunking Open Source Myths

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 05:57 PM 1/31/2000 , G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>
> > >From what I learned in High School (which was 35 years ago, so I may not be
> >remembering it correctly), it was Heraclitus who said you cannot enter the
> >same river twice because by the time you re-enter, water has flowed, hence
> >the river has changed.
>
> It's part of Buddhist lore, too. Have you read Hesse's "Siddhartha?" He
> uses this at the climax of the book.

I'm not sure how far I would be willing to use Hesse as an example of
Buddhist thought.  Anyways, Heraclitus predates Buddha.  Heraclitus was born
in ca 535 BCE in Ephesos.  historically Buddha was thought to have been
born in 560 (or 563?) BCE; however, current thought is that he is somewhat
younger than that, dating from the fourth century BCE.

David
--
Upon those that step into the same rivers different and different waters
flow....