Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 20:24:52 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   after youtube .swf, black xterm text => transparent

After doing a number of port upgrades to try to get firefox 16 to play
youtube audio again (still doesn't), I now see that when I put an xterm
window over a particular portion of the display, the black areas on the
xterm are transparent, and are showing a portion of a youtube page
which is no longer playing but which is still open on either a visible
or a non-visible (i.e. not the current) tab.

The image is from the end of the following page:

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuYmhY-5-g

and the video content is
  https://s.ytimg.com/yts/swfbin/watch_as3-vfl1ubMZd.swf

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Hmm... this is weird.  If I iconify everything except a couple of
xterms, xwininfo clicked on the region where the image *was*, which now
has only the wm (xfce4) background, the xwininfo gives the window id
for the background.

This is particularly noticeable in the xfce terminal emulator, 0.4.8,
as it comes up with an entirely black background.

Gimp, firefox and thunderbird windows don't have the problem, nor does the
wm header.

I'm guessing this is a result of using the XVideo extension, and not using
opengl in the wm, or something like that, based on this article:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_video_extension

Can anyone shed some light on this and how to prevent it?

p.s.  I can't seem to find how to tell what options a port is installed
with, and what the defaults are.  I know it's there somewhere...

Thanks,

Gary