Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:57:16 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Paul Albrecht <albrecht@glccom.com>
Subject:   Re: kqueue periodic timer confusion

On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 08:34 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:00:47 pm Ian Lepore wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 14:52 -0500, Paul Albrecht wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Sorry about this repost but I'm confused about the responses I received
> > > in my last post so I'm looking for some clarification.
> > >
> > > Specifically, I though I could use the kqueue timer as essentially a
> > > "drop in" replacement for linuxfd_create/read, but was surprised that
> > > the accuracy of the kqueue timer is much less than what I need for my
> > > application.
> > >
> > > So my confusion at this point is whether this is consider to be a bug or
> > > "feature"?
> > >
> > > Here's some test code if you want to verify the problem:
> > >
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > > #include <stdlib.h>
> > > #include <string.h>
> > > #include <unistd.h>
> > > #include <errno.h>
> > > #include <sys/types.h>
> > > #include <sys/event.h>
> > > #include <sys/time.h>
> > >
> > > int
> > > main(void)
> > > {
> > >         int i,msec;
> > >         int kq,nev;
> > >         struct kevent inqueue;
> > >         struct kevent outqueue;
> > >         struct timeval start,end;
> > >
> > >         if ((kq = kqueue()) == -1) {
> > >                 fprintf(stderr, "kqueue error!? errno = %s",
> strerror(errno));
> > >                 exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> > >         }
> > >         EV_SET(&inqueue, 1, EVFILT_TIMER, EV_ADD | EV_ENABLE, 0, 20, 0);
> > >
> > >         gettimeofday(&start, 0);
> > >         for (i = 0; i < 50; i++) {
> > >                 if ((nev = kevent(kq, &inqueue, 1, &outqueue, 1, NULL)) ==
> -1) {
> > >                         fprintf(stderr, "kevent error!? errno = %s",
> strerror(errno));
> > >                         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> > >                 } else if (outqueue.flags & EV_ERROR) {
> > >                         fprintf(stderr, "EV_ERROR: %s\n",
> strerror(outqueue.data));
> > >                         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
> > >                 }
> > >         }
> > >         gettimeofday(&end, 0);
> > >
> > >         msec = ((end.tv_sec - start.tv_sec) * 1000) + (((1000000 +
> end.tv_usec - start.tv_usec) / 1000) - 1000);
> > >
> > >         printf("msec = %d\n", msec);
> > >
> > >         close(kq);
> > >         return EXIT_SUCCESS;
> > > }
> > >

> > What you are seeing is "just the way FreeBSD currently works."
> >
> > Sleeping (in most all of its various forms, and I've just looked at the
> > kevent code to verify this is true there) is handled by converting the
> > amount of time to sleep (usually specified in a timeval or timespec
> > struct) to a count of timer ticks, using an internal routine called
> > tvtohz() in kern/kern_time.c.  That routine rounds up by one tick to
> > account for the current tick.  Whether that's a good idea or not (it
> > probably was once, and probably not anymore) it's how things currently
> [...]

In what way is it irrelevant?  That is, what did I miss?  It appears to
me that the next callout is scheduled by calling timertoticks() passing
a count of milliseconds, that count is converted to a struct timeval and
passed to tvtohz() which is where the +1 adjustment happens.  If you ask
for 20ms and each tick is 1ms, then you'd get regular spacing of 21ms.
There is some time, likely a small number of microseconds, that you've
consumed of the current tick, and that's what the +1 in tvtohz() is
supposed to account for according to the comments.

The tvtohz() routine both rounds up in the usual way (value+tick-1)/tick
and then adds one tick on top of that.  That seems not quite right to
me, except that it is a way to g'tee that you don't return early, and
that is the one promise made by sleep routines on any OS; those magical
"at least" words always appear in the docs.

Actually what I'm missing (that I know of) is how the scheduler works.
Maybe the +1 adjustment to account for the fraction of the current tick
you've already consumed is the right thing to do, even when that
fraction is 1uS or less of a 1mS tick.  That would depend on scheduler
behavior that I know nothing about.

-- Ian