Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:21:29 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for V.90 PCI modems?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I happened to have one of these lying around, a Diamond V.90 PCI internal.
> > > I stuck it in this machine and rebooted, running pretty much vanilla
> > > 2.2.6-RELEASE, and this is what dmesg tells me:
> > >
> > > pci0:12:    vendor=0x127a, device=0x1002, class=comms, subclass=0x00 int a irq 9
> > >  [no driver assigned]
> > >
> > Have a look at the way that if_ed_p.c does it.  First, boot with -v and
> > confirm that all it's asking for is an 8-byte I/O mapping; if it has
> > anything else, then it's not going to be a UART clone.
>
> It reported:
>
> pci0:12:    vendor=0x127a, device=0x1002, class=comms, subclass=0x00 int a irq 9
>  [no driver assigned]
>         map(10): mem32(e4000000)
>
> I assume this means it wants 10 bytes of I/O, and may not be emulating a
> simple UART?

10 is the configuration register address.  It's asking for a 32-bit
accessible memory region - I'd have to go look up the encoding of the
field to tell you how big it is.  It also wants an interrupt.  It's
certainly not emulating a UART.

> I'll go plunge around the Diamond Multimedia pages and see if I can find
> any information.  (Yeah, right).

More useful than that would be to tell us what the part(s) on the card
are.  Diamond just use off-the-shelf parts in most of their designs;
they're too small to do anything really custom.  Then go hunting for
the datasheets for the parts in question; that's where you'll find what
you're after.