Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 08:39:49 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Steve Madsen <steve@dvart.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Missing bt848 interrupts (was Re: Another odd combination for fxtv 0.48)

The multimedia archives are searchable at http://www.freebsd.org/search.html.

 |Anyhow, I have a second development machine at home that I now have up and
 |running FreeBSD with a Hauppauge WinTV stereo card.  This particular machine
 |has a Diamond Viper V330 (8MB) in it, which is based on the Riva 128ZX chip.
 |I have noticed that as soon as fxtv switches into MIT-SHM mode, video just
 |stops.  If the window is obscured, the video just goes black and doesn't
 |come back until it is fully unobscured.

Ok.  So direct video works, SHM XImages don't.

 |Is there a bug in XFree86 3.3.3 that prevents MIT-SHM from working on this
 |chip?

It's remotely possible, but my bets are on the driver not delivering
frame-done interrupts to the application.

 |Is there a way I can fall back to XImages?

Sure, several ways.  Assuming your routing table is set up standard such
that 127.0.0.1 is your loopback (lo0) interface, just do this:

     setenv DISPLAY 127.0.0.1:0
     fxtv

Fxtv doesn't go probing the network interfaces of a machine to determine
what IPs are local, so if your $DISPLAY doesn't match ":*" or "unix:*",
then it assumes you're remote (i.e. no DGA and no SHM XImage transfers will
be attempted).

I'm gonna bet you still see black when the window is partially occluded,
though you're now using standard XImages).

If so, please post the output of "fxtv -debug startup" along with your
hardware config (card, MSWin* device manager details, etc.) so Roger or
another driver expert can help you nail this one down.

Randall