Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:45:42 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        "'freebsd-security@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: apache security question

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 21:22 +0200, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:

> Yonatan Bokovza(Yonatan@xpert.com)@2001.06.14 21:34:09 +0000:
> >
> > You do have a firewall, right?
>
> why? for a web-only server? *grin*
> the only service that listens is httpd on tcp port 80, for
> severe network scanning and synflood handling consult the
> blackhole(4) man page.

Consulting the "man 4 blackhole" output was exactly what I did
lately when the TCP_RESTRICT_RST setting became obsolete.  Your
statement made me curious, because I remembered the WARNING
section:

----- man 4 blackhole --------------------------------------------
[ ... ]

WARNING
     The TCP and UDP blackhole features should not be regarded as a replace-
     ment for ipfw(8) as a tool for firewalling your system.  In order to cre-
     ate a highly secure system, you should use ipfw(8) to protect your sys-
     tem, and not the blackhole feature.

     This mechanism is not a substitute for securing your system, but should
     be used together with other security mechanisms.

[ ... ]

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net