Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 01:14:25 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        nwestfal@directvinternet.com, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 21:57:50 -0700
Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Joshua Lee wrote:
> > somewhat earlier, Chief Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook seemed to
> > incorporate evolution and other "heretical" ideas into his unique
> > theological reconcilliation of modern thought and Orthodoxy. Again,
> > as an Orthodox Jew, I'm not an"evolutionist", but I think it's
> > somewhat dishonest to label a scientific theory as a religion.
>
> Heh.  That's because:
>
> 	"Anything that contradicts doctorine must be someone
> 	 else's doctoring, rather than the truth".

"Truth" is not the realm of science, science is the art of describing
repeated empherical observations with rational mathematics. :-) As such
it is as theological as the computer program I am using to compose this
message; though indeed some, mostly laymen, do try to make it into a
pseudo-religion. (Compte being a case in point.)

I don't see science and mathematics as contradictory; several prominant
Rabbis have a degree in biology and are even biology professors, for
example; because knowledge of biology is indispensable for an important
volume of the Talmud and it's corresponding sections of the codes and
rulings that are part of getting smicha. (The sections dealing with
Kashrus.)

The Torah commentator Rashi said on the verse "it is your wisdom and
understanding before the nations" that this refers to astronomy and the
observations used to calculate the calendar. It is really no wonder that
a disproportionate number of famous scientists are Jewish. (Of course, there are plenty of famous Anglo-Saxon scientists too. :-) )