Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:04:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@n2k.com>
To:        "David T. Small" <dts@cise.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: route/udp: unknown service

>>>>> "David" == David T Small <dts@cise.ufl.edu> writes:

David> I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.6-RELEASE.  After some major mucking about
David> and a kernel rebuild, my system is *almost* running happily.  Two
David> things that used to work, now don't.

David> routed: router/udp: unknown service

David> I haven't modified the networking section of /etc/sysconfig, nor
David> touched /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services, and /etc/protocols.

You may not have modified them, but it's fairly clear that `services' is
seriously trashed.  You'll want a fresh copy.  If you have the 2.1.6 CD,
you'll find one on the live file system disc.  If not, pull a good one down
from ftp.freebsd.org.  Get file

    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.6-RELEASE/src/setc.aa

It's a gzipped tarball; you'll find a good /etc/services inside.

David> Second, I'm no longer able to get my printer to function in
David> interrupt-driven mode.  This isn't a critical problem, because the
David> printer does work in polled-mode, but it would be nice to know what
David> is going on.  I checked my kernel configuration file for IRQ
David> conflicts and haven't found any.  Is there anyway to get list of IRQ
David> (and DRQ)'s from a running system?  Is it possibly something other
David> than a hidden IRQ conflict?

Start with the dmesg(8) command.  That'll show you the devices your system
actually found when it booted.  Of course, it'll only *try* to find the
devices you configured in your kernel.  If it doesn't find your printer, or
anything else on the suspect IRQ, try booting the generic kernel to see
what *it* thinks is out there.

Of course, you'll want to triple-check the configuration of all your
hardware, too.
----
Brian Clapper, bmc@n2k.com
Hacker's Law:
	The belief that enhanced understanding will necessarily stir
	a nation to action is one of mankind's oldest illusions.