Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:26:06 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On 08/30/02 03:06 AM, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Actually this example demosntrates the -removal- of an adversity
>> (near-sightedness) via glasses. It doesn't demonstrate the removal
>> of any pressure.
>
> Glasses keep near-shighted people in the gene pool longer than
> they would otherwise be.  Myopia is still an adverse condition.

Well thing is this isn't always something you are born with you can develop
it and not pass on the trait.  Like I was born cross-eyed (bad pre-natal
nutrition I am guessing).  MY eye doctor at the time did nothing to
strengthen a weakened eye from this.  So one eye has worse vision and I wear
glasses to balance it.  Now  this does not mean my son will have eye
problems, actually he seems to have really good vision.

>> No, in other words there is no such thing as an acceptable proof (but
>> I can't prove that).
>
> By your troll argument, you should at least gve me a chance to
> infect you with my memes...

COOTIES

<snip a lot>

>> But blowing them up -with- the sanction of the state is the right way?
>
> Of course.  Society defines morality.

History is written by the winners.

>> The ones that break out and forcibly reproduce are the best suited to
>> survival in hostile environments. By definition even.
>
> Nature seems to vote against that one.

>>> You mean, like when a troll posts to a mailing list.
>>
>> You claim to understand this too ya know.
>
> Better to be arrogant with the sanction of the state, than to be
> arrogant and facing a crowd of torch-wielding peasents.

It is always safer to be an ass when backed by the masses.  If you know you
can get away with it\, well most will push that as far as they can.  Look at
these KKK rallies.  Ppl in the USA hate em, despise em mostly, but they know
the state protects them so they speak out.

>>> No, I said "with societys" and I meant it.
>>
>> I don't buy that at all. Your incentive is to say "with society's"
>> since you'll look good to "society" if you say that.
>
> Or if you can't win a conflict with all of society against you,
> and are forced to cooperate.

Well you could withdraw as well, go buy a cabin in the mountains, join a
militia, etc etc.  US society gives you an out.

> [ ... ]
>> What do politicians do when they want to get elected? The most
>> effective way is to mount a hate campaign against the other candidate.
>> You going to tell me this is not indoctrination? Ding, slobber.
>
> "Ding, slobber" is an obvious reference to Pavlov's dogs, which is
> an example of conditioning, not indoctrination.  Maybe you meant to
> say "conditioned" rather than "indoctrinated", originally?

I had a dog like this once, he'd slobber whenever he saw the biscuit box.

>>> What else do you call someone who seeks to destroy what they
>>> can not control?  "Naughty"?
>>
>> "Desperate" perhaps. "Misunderstood" definately. "Naughty" I refrain
>> from using, it has too many sexual contexts that are inappropriate. ;)
>
> Rodney King was a fleeing felon in voilation of parole.

"Can't we all just get along".  Seriously, he may have been fleeing, but the
beating he got was excessive.  They are supposed to not lose control ,the
police I mean.

\>

>> Trolls really do communicate data.
>
> Noise is not data.

It depends, there is a need in any social group for one to mock what is, to
question.  Now do trolls mock for that purpose or do they mock just for the
sake of it?

--Larry