Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 95 14:39:44 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Multiport serial cards

> The Digiboard intelligent cards (about $1000.00 and no driver yet).
>
> I thought there were comments about Digiboard being uncooperative.  I've
> contacted them and the technical information is available on their
> bulletin board and their dysfunctional www site.
>
> Any thoughts on:

[ ... ]

> 3. Scoop about Hayes and Digiboard.

I have nothing but good to say about Digiboard; they were the first
company with a finite state automaton to guarantee that transparent
print requests comeing in on a seperate "printer" device did not
cause a screw up in case the physical terminal with the printer port
on it was in the middle of processing an escape sequence from the
regular tty device.

I believe they were also the first to have "multidrop" boards that
actually worked (multiple serial ports multiplexed in a small fan
out box on the end of an RS422 line, with a 422 board in the host
running at some high rate of speed).

Altos did this first, but they messed up by having a single input
and output queue so that until a write was satisfied, you couldn't
do a read.

The ONLY thing that is standing in the way of a driver there, IMO,
is the lack of someone with hardware and a determination to write a
driver.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---